Terms and Conditions for the use of the Wellcome Sanger Institute blog
By posting messages on this blog, you are agreeing to abide by our terms and conditions. The key points are outlined here, with full guidelines below:
- You agree that you are solely responsible for the content of any messages that you post.
- Messages should be kept to the subject matter of the post on which you are commenting.
- Messages must not contain inappropriate language that may upset or harass any other person, or break any law.
- We reserve the right to treat any medical advice, or links to sites providing medical advice, submitted or posted to this blog as spam which can be deleted at the discretion of the Wellcome Sanger Institute’s staff.
- Your first message posted to this blog will be moderated for approval by Wellcome Sanger Institute staff. If it is approved, your subsequent messages will not be moderated prior to being posted. However, any messages that do not abide by the full terms and conditions stated here may be edited, moved or deleted at the discretion of Wellcome Sanger Institute staff.
- You can complain about any messages that break these terms and conditions by e-mailing email@example.com. We will monitor this inbox frequently during UK office hours, and intermittently over the weekend and UK national holidays. However, we will aim to respond to or act on all complaints within 48 hours of its receipt.
Although we will do our utmost to avoid this, we reserve the right to edit, move, delete or otherwise alter messages posted by users.
Sharing and using the content of this blog
Unless otherwise stated, the text written by the authors of this blog is available for use under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial 2.0 UK: England & Wales license.
Images are licensed for use by the copyright holders and can only be used with their permission. Please see the Image credits at the end of the post for details.
YouTube films and videos can be shared under YouTube’s terms and conditions. Unless stated otherwise, all other film and audio content is available for use under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial 2.0 UK: England & Wales license.
Full Terms and Conditions
Your use of this blog
- By posting messages at this blog, you agree that you are solely responsible for the content of any messages that you post.
- Please restrict the content of your messages to the subject matter of the post on which you are commenting. Comments that are irrelevant can be moved, edited or deleted at the discretion of the Wellcome Sanger Institute’s staff.
- You must not impersonate anyone else, including, but not limited to, any Wellcome Sanger Institute employee, blog staff, or falsely state or suggest that you have an affiliation with a person or association.
- We recommend that you avoid posting personal information about yourself beyond your user name and your website URL if you have one.
- You must not post personal information about others.
- Prior to submitting your message, please ensure that you check your facts.
- Posting of confidential information is prohibited.
- Advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and requests for money are prohibited and will be deleted.
- We reserve the right to treat any medical advice, or links to sites providing medical advice, submitted or posted to this blog as inappropriate content or spam which can be deleted at the discretion of the Wellcome Sanger Institute’s staff.
- You must not upload, post, transmit, link to or make available, any material that contains viruses or any other computer code, applications, programmes or files designed to destroy, interrupt, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
- Your first message posted at this blog will be moderated for approval by Wellcome Sanger Institute staff. If it is approved, your subsequent messages will not be moderated prior to being posted. However, any messages that do not abide by the full terms and conditions stated here may be edited, moved or deleted at the discretion of Wellcome Sanger Institute staff.
Respect for Others
- Please do not attack someone for having an opinion that differs from your own; if you disagree with someone, please express yourself respectfully.
- Messages must not contain any material that is abusive, vulgar, obscene, hateful, fraudulent, unlawful, threatening, harassing or defamatory towards any person, whether they are a user of this blog or not.
- Do not post any material which may be discriminatory or cause offence on the grounds of an individual’s sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or working status.
- You may not use this blog to post any material or links to any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, harassing, obscene, profane, threatening or otherwise in violation of the law.
- You must not post or link to any material that contains any information about any person under the age of 18.
- Remember that this is a public website and your messages may remain online and be discoverable for a long time. Therefore, please try to express your views clearly so that they cannot be misunderstood.
Copyright and Third Party Rights
- You own the copyright to the material you post but you agree to grant us perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive rights to publish your entry on any media.
- You agree that you will not use this blog to post any copyright material or intellectual property that is not your own without the express permission of the copyright or intellectual property holder.
- You may add links to internal or external sites within your post but you agree to remain responsible for any links you add. We reserve the right to remove any links we consider inappropriate.
We require that you enter a valid e-mail address when you post to the blog. This is first and foremost to contact you in the event of any problems or issues that might arise from your message.
We reserve the right to contact you regarding the subject matter of the message which you have posted, but we will not use your address without your permission for any other purpose or add it to any mailing lists.
- Provided you stick to these common sense rules you may continue to access and submit messages to this blog.
- We reserve the right to remove any message breaking these rules without prior contact with the author.
- If you are responsible for any breach of these terms and conditions it will not be an excuse to say that you did not read the terms and conditions.
- As a last resort we may issue a ban (either temporary or permanent) if it becomes evident that you are unwilling to keep to these terms and conditions. This will only occur if we feel it is necessary to protect others or the integrity of the blog.
Your promise to us
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Wellcome Sanger Institute and its staff from and against any claim, liability, cost, damage or loss we may incur (including, without limitation legal costs) as a result of any material you post on our blog or any violation by you of your obligations under these terms and conditions.
This blog is moderated by Wellcome Sanger Institute staff. If you wish to make a complaint regarding a message (i.e. that it is objectionable or in breach of these terms and conditions) you may contact us by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance. We will monitor this inbox frequently during UK working hours, and intermittently over the weekend and UK national holidays. However, we will aim to respond to or act on all complaints within 48 hours of the receipt of an e-mail.
If a formal complaint is made against you, we reserve the right to archive your messages until the complaint is resolved.
We reserve the right to change these Terms and Conditions at any time. If you are uncertain about anything in these Terms and Conditions, please e-mail us at email@example.com or write to us at:
Media, Public Relations and Communications
Wellcome Sanger Institute
Wellcome Genome Campus
CB10 1SA, UK
This blog is intended for people based within the United Kingdom. We cannot guarantee that it or its contents complies with requirements of, or is appropriate for use in, other countries.
We will try to ensure the website’s availability, but shall not be liable if for any reason the website is unavailable for any period.
Messages posted on this blog, by persons other than Wellcome Sanger Institute staff, are those of the individual and in no way represent the views of the Wellcome Sanger Institute. We reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever at our sole discretion.